I'm definitely a sweet tooth. I knew if I was ever going to last as a vegan long term I needed to learn how to master the art of vegan desserts.
I love how simple and filling vegan desserts are – there are no lame filler ingredients, like flour, baking soda and sugar. Every single component is a whole food, special and delicious on its own.
This slice is one of my favourites. An ode to the much loved caramel slice, I like to mix up the taste of dark chocolate on the top with some creamy white chocolate. Heaven in my mouth!
TOP DECK CARAMEL SLICE
Vegan | Dairy Free | Gluten Free | Processed Sugar Free
Makes 6 Slices
3/4 cup raw almonds
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup Loving Earth Caramelised Buckinis
8 medjool dates, pitted
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (I'm obsessed with this brand)
1/2 cup rice malt syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
1 tbsp coconut oil
*Recipe for the caramel layer is part of a recipe found in the Hippie Lane app
80g Loving Earth Creamy Coconut Chocolate
80g Sweet William White Dairy Free Chocolate
1. To make base, blitz almonds in a food processor until they have reduced to small pieces. Add the remainder of the base ingredients and process for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is combined and sticky.
2. Press base into a tin lined with baking paper and store in freezer.
3. To make the caramel layer, add all ingredients into a small saucepan and combine over low heat. Stir until sauce is glossy and smooth.
4. Spread the caramel over the prepared base and place in the fridge to set.
5. For the chocolate layer, melt the two different chocolate blocks separately. I do it the old school way with a double-boiler over the stovetop because I'm not a fan of microwaves, but they would be a lot quicker.
6. Pour the melted chocolate into opposite ends of the tin and then gently move the tin around until the chocolate meets in the centre. Use a knife to create swirls. Freeze to set.
7. Remove from freezer at least 20 minutes before serving.